We believe in supporting and mentoring university students interested in pursuing a career in public relations. The Puget Sound Chapter of PRSA, with its nearly 400 members between Everett and Olympia, offers a variety of resources for students of all ages.
We also offer special support to the four PRSSA chapters we are responsible for: Central Washington University, Seattle University, University of Washington and Western Washington University.
Whether you’re a student from a local PRSSA chapter or another chapter across the country, or a student not affiliated with a chapter, don’t hesitate to contact us. We’re here to help.
- Join PRSSA. Joining a local PRSSA chapter and getting involved early in your stint on campus may be the best thing you do for your career.
- Faculty advisers. Your PRSSA faculty adviser most likely is a PRSA member. He or she can be a great resource for information on what PRSA has to offer students.
- Professional advisers. Your PRSSA chapter also has at least one professional adviser from the sponsoring PRSA chapter. Use the contact info at right to find your advisors.
- Student Outreach Committee (SOC). A team of professionals works to connect PRSSA with opportunities like the Mentors Program, the Leadership Retreat and financial support for attending the National Conference and National Assembly. 2016-2017 co-chairs are Kate Devaney and Catherine Hinrichsen, APR. Each school has an SOC Liaison — a young professional who is a former member of that PRSSA chapter and is now member of PRSA. For 2016-2017, they are Aubrey Abbott (WWU); Delaney Berreth (UW); Julia Leitman (SU); and Mason Luvera (WWU).
- Mentors Program. We pair you up with a PR professional who can help review your resume, introduce you to colleagues, or give job-hunting advice.
- PR Career Jumpstart. We sponsor an annual full-day event designed to help college students and young professionals learn from and network with top PR professionals.
- Leadership Retreat. Every spring we invite incoming and outgoing Washington state PRSSA officers to join us for a half-day retreat to reflect on success, share learning and plan for the coming school year. The retreat is usually on a Saturday in mid-May. In 2016, we combined it with Jumpstart.
- Scholarships. We offer two scholarships – the Sally Heet Memorial Scholarship and the Horace & Susie Revels Cayton Scholarship – to outstanding college students pursuing a career in public relations.
- Member rates. PRSSA members are eligible for PRSA member rates at all chapter events, and in some cases, special student rates apply. PRSSA members can request to be added to our chapter distribution list to find out about all upcoming events and programs.
- Volunteer opportunities. Students are invited and encouraged to volunteer on PRSA committees, where they’ll have the opportunity to work with professionals on chapter events and programs.
- Facebook. Like our Facebook page – Puget Sound PRSA for Students – to find out about upcoming activities, internship/job opportunities and other updates from the professional chapter.
- Internships. There’s an abundance of internship possibilities in the Seattle region. As a PRSSA member, you can learn about these and hundreds of others across the country at the PRSSA Internship Center.
- Entering the PR profession. Classic advice from the pros.
Join the PRSA Puget Sound Chapter after Graduation.
Thanks to longtime national PRSA leader and esteemed practitioner Bob Frause, APR, Fellow PRSA; graduating PRSSA students and young professionals who qualify for the low Associate Member rate when applying for PRSA National ($60), will have the opportunity to receive free dues for the first year in the Puget Sound Chapter (a value of $55). View the application form to learn about this easy process and how to submit your application. We look forward to welcoming you to the PRSA Puget Sound Chapter.
It is PRSA’s mission to make communications professionals smarter, better prepared and more connected through all stages of their careers. If you are ready to invest in yourself and your career join PRSA today!