If you're a Western Washington PRSSA member who is determined to succeed in public relations and willing to put time into your professional development, the Mentors Program could be for you.
Through this program. hundreds of students in Western Washington have built important relationships with Puget Sound PRSA members that have helped guide them in their careers, not just after graduation but for years after.
Now in its 12th year, the Mentors Program matches members of the Puget Sound Chapter of PRSA with PRSSA members and affiliate members for one-on-one mentoring and career guidance. The mentorship lasts for one year, or six months after your graduation, whichever comes first. During that time, your mentor will be available to:
- Devote 1-2 hours per month to helping you.
- Be available for resume and portfolio advice and review.
- If appropriate, invite you to visit their workplace and sponsor job shadowing.
- Provide the names and contact information of 2-3 colleagues for informational interviews.
- Keep you up-to-date on PRSA activities and if appropriate, invite you as a guest.
- Sponsor (sign) your application for associate membership in PRSA.
Mentors Program recruitment begins in the fall. To be eligible for the Mentors Program, students must:
- Be a paid member of the PRSSA chapter at the University of Washington, Central Washington University, Seattle University or Western Washington University, or be an affiliate member of PRSSA at a university in this region (though priority goes to students at the four PRSSA chapters, due to high demand).
- Demonstrate commitment to enter the public relations field, such as by completing a PR internship.
How To Apply. If you meet these requirements, here's what to do next:
- Respond to the quiz that we will send via email to all paid PRSSA members in early November 2016 (after your chapter provides us with the chapter member list).
- Attend a MANDATORY one-hour training session at your school, or at another chapter, in November. This year's training sessions are:
- Monday evening, Nov. 7, 2016, at Seattle University
- Thursday evening, Nov. 10, 2016, 6 p.m. at University of Washington
- Wednesday evening, Nov. 16, 2016 at Western Washington University
- Tuesday evening, Nov. 29, 2016 at Central Washington University
- "Like" the PRSA Puget Sound for Students Facebook page so you can get updates.
- Submit an application in mid-December. You will get the application information after you attend the mandatory training. Your application will need to include the application form, writing samples based on a writing prompt, a resume and references. This year's deadline: Wednesday, Dec. 14, 2016, 5 p.m. (no exceptions).
- Save the date for the kickoff event in case you are selected: either Friday, Jan. 13, 2017 or Friday, Jan. 20, 2017. If you are selected, you will hear around Jan. 1.
If you are a PRSSA member at Central, Seattle U, UW or Western, contact your chapter president for more information.